US v. Kassir, Oussama, et al.
New York, NY
[SDNY] An indictment returned by a federal grand jury in New York on September 25, 2007, charges Oussama Kassir, Mustafa Kamel Mustafa (a.k.a. "Abu Hamza"), and Haroon Rashid Aswat of conspiring to provide material support and resources to Al Qaeda, including plotting to establish a jihad training camp in Bly, Oregon. Kassir was convicted on all 11 counts against him, including providing material support to terrorists, and sentenced to life in prison. Aswat pleaded guilty to terrorism charges related to his efforts to establish a terrorist training camp in the U.S., including one count of conspiring to provide material support to al Qaeda and one count of providing material support to al Qaeda. Aswat was sentenced to 20 years in prison in October 2015.
- Haroon Aswat Sentencing Press Release
- Haroon Aswat Sentencing Memo
- Haroon Aswat Superseding Indictment
- Prosecution Memo Opposing Dismissal Motion
- Haroon Aswat Guilty Plea Press Release
- Sentencing Press Release
- News Release on Verdict
- Prepared Remarks of Michael Garcia, U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York